Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Something New


I got shouted at by Daphne Rubin-Vega last night.

I just started drawing at Joe's Pub, here in sunny--no wait, freaking frigid--New York City. So, I'm sitting at my table, trying to let the magic happen. Ms. Rubin-Vega's on stage, singing her heart out and-despite the fact that she has a cold--she sounds great; she's telling some jokes, talking about her favorite TV shows and just generally being a big old star with a new album coming out. I've got my head down, pen moving--we're a couple of songs into the set and suddenly I hear, "And then here's this guy sitting there, writing. He must be a critic or something." And I think, "please God, don't let her be talking about me."

But she is.

The crowd near me starts protesting, trying to explain that I'm drawing not criticizing. Ms. Rubin-Vega is dubious--who wouldn't be?--but she presses on rocking and crooning. But I have become a chip on her shoulder.

I dunno, maybe some people need the chip on their shoulder to push them through. Sometimes when you're not feeling 100 percent and you're giving it your all, you need something to be working against. I know a lot of actors and directors who get sick during tech-week or around opening. I have been there myself.

So, yeah.

That happened.

By the way, there's this one song she performed, En Estos Dias, that about made me cry. Made me want to get up there and apologize for being all into my drawing when I should have been staring at her. Of course, I wouldn't have been drawing anything if she hadn't been there to be drawn . . .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was at the show last nite too. it's funny to have come across your blog to learn that it was YOU who scolded. better you than me. :) it was a great show. even with her voice issue. i bought the cd on my way out and listened to en estos dias like a hundred times today. you're right, it's touching. anyway, great drawing which captures a great show.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear michael, i love the picture u drew!
had i known, who knows what silliness would've come out...i may have asked to look at it and spoiled your flow.
thank you for coming.
with love,
daphne

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, just found your blog and love it! I was also there that night. Was actually sitting at the table right next to you. Found the whole thing very entertaining. But then, Daphne is always entertaining. Now I have to go see if I can find that picture!

-Rachel

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home