Thursday, February 01, 2007

Sxipped Again


I get an email from Sxip about once a week on average. They don't actually come once a week, but when you factor in the corrections and updates, I think the average comes to once a week. In fairness, I'm on his list. I've been on his list for a couple of years and tracking his success through his email blasts has been pretty fascinating.

He's got a singular vision, he pursues it doggedly and, he's an entertaining guy who surrounds himself with other entertaining folks.

We both came to New York from Austin at about the same time and we have a lot of the same friends. Once, long ago, he wrote the music for Craving Gravy by John Walch, a play I performed in back when I was acting instead of finishing my dissertation. Craving Gravy was the best show I've ever been involved with; the only time I've ever been on a stage and understood exactly how amazing, cathartic and grounding the act of acting can be. It was a show I needed to be doing at a time I needed to be doing a show.

It changed my life and provided a blueprint for a lot of what followed.

Anyway.

Sxip and I have a routine and it is Groundhog Day-like in its never-changing structure. Whenever I see him at a party or at one of his concerts, someone introduces us and I say, "You did the music for a play I was in a long time ago." And he says, "oh, yeah? What play?" Then I say, "Craving Gravy." And he says something like, "that was you?" or "that was the first play I did music for" or "wow, it's nice to finally meet you." And Sxip is always present in his introduction to me, because he never remembers the last time we performed the routine.

But last night at Joe's Pub, we might finally have woken up the next day, because the show was a memorable one and the drawing went well and we talked a couple of times and Sxip emailed me today to thank me for being there.

By the way, one of the performers last night was Scotty the Blue Bunny, who's in the neighborhood of six foot five before the spike pumps go on. He performs in sparkling spandex with bunny ears, and usually sports a glass of white wine. Scotty says I am adorable and offered to let me fuck him. I passed with a gracious blush, but I'll never be able to say that didn't happen.

UPDATE: Someone else blogged about Sxip's band, the Luminescent Orchestrii and included a couple of MP3s . . . check it out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Scotty was at my first office holiday party in New York. What a flirt!

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh sorry. My memory is not my strong point. In fact it is notorious.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Michael Arthur said...

No worries at all. Me complaining about someone not remembering a name has got Potkettleblack written all over it.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home