Friday, June 22, 2007

Friends in High Places


I saw Chalk on Wednesday. I was down in the Village with Alana and Samantha and we decided to wander over to The Sunshine to check on the movie-times. Alana had heard about this great new Morgan Spurlock film and really wanted to see it, but she was so rarely in the East Village. I indulged her because I had heard of this movie and I too wanted to see it. For the third time.

"You know, I know them," I bragged at some point in the film because I am a name dropper and when you're friends with three of the four stars and you did Ivan's scene from Threepenny Opera with Greg, the music teacher, you've got some serious material to work with.

"No way," she said.

"Dear friends. Known them for years. Jonny comments on my blog page all the time, I mean when the computer allows it."

"Is he the history teacher?"

"Oh no--Jonny's Janelle--the tragic gym teacher who only knows theatre games." Apparently I've learned nothing over the years about the proper way to drop Janelle's name.

Afterwards, she couldn't stop going on about how beautiful Shannon was and how genius she was with the walkie-talkie. I told her I give Shannon music all the time and whenever Shannon has surgery, I go along because we're that close.

Later that night at Joe's, Shanta asked me where I'd been and I told her I went to see Chalk before coming over and she said, "I've got to see that! It's that new Morgan Spurlock movie, right?" and I rolled up my sleeves, and leaned back in my chair and said, "you know . . . "

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only egregious name-dropper. Spring and I saw it last night and I kept wanting to turn around to everyone in the theatre, "You know - I know them! I was at their baby shower!" And then I keep making my co-workers watch the trailer on their computers.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Wow! Well, I have to say the height of fame is actually being featured on MICHAEL ARTHUR'S BLOG!!! And for any of you who may need bone spur surgery, I highly recommend Michael as a post-surgery caretaker. There is nobody in the world with whom I would rather watch Cash Cab whilst being high on Vicodin...

3:00 PM  
Blogger Michael Arthur said...

Chris, you should totally send the co-workers to those MySpace pages. The music alone is enough to keep you laughing plentywise.

By the way, Shannon never once offered me any of her Vicodin even though I made her canned soup from scratch.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Oh Michael, I never offered you any because I wanted to protect you from the unfortunate side effect of severe constipation. I am an extremely thoughtful friend. Maybe if you had made me canned soup out of a can, I wouldn't have been so thoughtful.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Dan Nelson said...

Why wasn't I mentioned in connection to Blog. I was the Chicago publicity manager. My feelings are really hurt that you didn't mention me to your friends.

Dan Nelson

2:55 PM  
Blogger Michael Arthur said...

Oh, and Dan. He comments on my blog page too. Good old Dan.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and how about the rest of us? I mean, we're in the movie too. Don't we count at all?

PS: glad you liked the movie!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Michael Arthur said...

Perhaps the publicists, grips, best boys and all the other actors in the movie Chalk missed the point of my bragging.

See, I actually hang out with Shannon, eat beans and peanut butter with Jonny and sometimes draw with Huck. Troy and I talk comic-books like card-carrying nerds. And Greg and I . . . well . . . He was in that diamond commercial that I used to see all the time. And we sang a duet in grad-school.

I'm sure the rest of you are delightful people and I'd drop your names like I drop my pants (i.e. too often and at inappropriate times) if we were . . . you know . . . friends.

Jeez, the insecurity that comes with overwhelming and resounding success based on an inspiring display of talent and charisma . . . I never want to be famous.

Wait, no. I do.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude - my co-workers and I combed through those MySpace pages like they were Matrix websites. My favorite was, in fact, Lowrey's choice of that Bread song.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home