Friday, October 19, 2007

That Time


In exchange for a print of a drawing (probably this one) Sandra took me to see Regina Spektor at the Hammerstein Ballroom Tuesday night.

It was quite the night--a homecoming even--with a crowd full of family and friends and several thousand people who love her just because she's Regina Spektor. They filled the place, an admiration convocation, and they knew the words and vocal tics to every song.

Sandra and I were up in the second mezzanine looking out over the masses at the stage way over there with the piano and the disco ball Up Center.

Spektor played all the hits and songs I didn't know were hits until I was sitting in a massive theatre surrounded by thousands of singalongers which ought to be a word even though it isn't.

In general, my Regina experiences have been private, with my i-pod or on a mix-cd in the car. And I guess a lot of folks were listening to her before I realized what was going on. The show was an abrupt shift for me and I wanted the space to be smaller or the stage to sport a band in addition to the piano and disco-ball, something to bring us all a little closer.

It was a good night, but I wish I hadn't come to the party late; I would have liked to see the show when it was a little less large.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regina Spektor has to be my favorite singer songwriter artist...ever. I was actually planning to go to that concert a while back but the plans fell through. I'm jealous. She's so great, not like anything that's out there. So...real

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also...the very second i read the title of this post, before i knew it was about regina...i started hearing the guitar intro to that song in my head and i started singing it haha.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Michael Arthur said...

Actually, that song may have been my favorite of the night. She strapped on an electric guitar and delivered.

I'm listening to her album right now, thinking how nice it would have been to have had strings and other instruments at Hammerstein . . .

Jeez, I'm picky.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree though...she shouldnt be in such big venues. I feel like her style of music isn't meant for large spaces...its too intimate.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home