Friday, March 28, 2008

Artist Statement


Hmm. Let's see.

"I was sitting in the Fall Cafe and there was this man there with this daughter and grand-daughter and he was watching them play."

No. Too pedantic and blase faire.

"I have always been attracted to the human face as an intersection of competing notions of gender and ideology."

Say. That's a good start.

"The carved lines of a face--worn by life--speak of the patterns we inherit as subjects of pre-set gender narratives. These lines--arcing, direct, bold even--are indicative of both phallic-like and post-feminist hegemonic structures of composition."

Now we're getting somewhere.

"But, specifying the subject as "The Grand-daughter" (as I have done in this piece) rather than "man" or even "grandfather" (with its implied historical possessive), distracts the narrative tendency by introducing the unseen to the viewed (and the viewer)."

Sweet.

"As in all my work, this thing unseen is that which must be recognized. Following this logic, my work represents everything EXCEPT what it portrays, therefore it achieves universality through absence--everything in the universe, known and unknown, real and theoretical, fact-based and fantastic is implied and potentialized through my mature ability to not include it in the work."

And that, my friend, is how to write an Artist Statement.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, my friend.

I believe I am getting closer: "I want to create the extraordinary out of the ordinary; I want to weave a cashmere sweater out of belly lint".

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home