Friday, February 05, 2010

Casting Shadows


On Wednesday, I joined the lovely Nicole Atkins on stage over at the Bowery Ballroom for an acoustic set of tunes. The evening was part of the Stories in High Fidelity series and also featured readings by Alan Light, Dan Kennedy, Jason Gordon and a talk by David Byrne.

And then, as a special--well, amazing--thing, David joined Nicole and I on stage for a version of Nicole's Neptune City.


"That was a very New York night," said Laura in the cab on the way home.

I've said before that I never dreamed of living in New York when I was a kid and it's true. I didn't come in to the New York experience with any expectations. If you had told me ten years ago when I packed up my stuff in Austin, that I'd be drawing in front of people on stage in New York with people like David and Nicole--let alone that I'd be doing it regularly as a member of Balthrop, Alabama--I'd have thought you had a spectacularly active imagination.

"Yes." I said, smiling, as I looked out over the city from the Manhattan Bridge. "Very New York.".

Photos by Laura Wyatt. Thanks to Laura and Liz and Nicole for making this happen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home